At Online Travel Insurance we love to travel, and we know you do too. But we also know it can sometimes be expensive.
So we asked for your best money-saving travel ideas and were blown away by your thrifty responses.
Here are our 10 favourite tips to help stretch your holiday dollar further on your next trip. We will be contacting the clever authors behind the best three tips to send them their prizes!
- “If staying in a particular place for a few days or more, we always rent an apartment. That way, we make a lot of our own meals and buy our liquor from the supermarket, thereby saving money. And it makes a nice change from going out all the time for meals after a hard day of sightseeing.”
- “Rather than looking at hotels, try hostels. Most are very modern and clean. Not only for young people.”
- “Eat where the locals eat, not where the tourists eat. Cheaper, authentic and you experience the culture.”
- “Decide how much you want to use as spending money and stick to it. You can use a different debit card with only the amount you want to spend on it.”
- “Once you have your budget travel, itinerary and Online Travel Insurance organised you need to think carefully about the type of accommodation you require. We’ve found 3 star is fine when you are on the move and stipulate things like pool, air conditioning, refrigerator, comfortable bed, tea and coffee making facilities and kitchenette, depending on where we are going and the type of holiday we want.”
- “Disconnect internet roaming before leaving Australia.”
- “If travelling to the USA, at restaurants you only need to order one entree and one main and can share between two people. The servings in the USA are more than double the size of servings here so two can eat for the price of one.”
- “Travel insurance should be taken out whether your holiday is in Australia or overseas. The value in Australia applies particularly if you are hiring a car as the policy covers collision damage waiver and the premium is usually far less than paying for this coverage separately through the car hire company. It also, of course, covers lost baggage and delays.”
- “Where possible, try to travel overnight. You’ll save money on accommodation and also time during the day when you could be exploring.”
- “Stay where breakfast is included and then have your main meal at lunchtime! Prices are much more affordable and the food is just as interesting.”
And here’s a bonus tip from one of our more laterally-thinking customers:
- “Leave the wife at home”.